Implementation of Employment Insurance System (EIS) in Malaysia

Implementation of EIS in Malaysia

Implementation of Malaysia’s Employment Insurance System (EIS)

In recent news, the Malaysian Parliament has just passed the Employment Insurance System (EIS). As it its known, Malaysia saw to a loss of more than 38,000 jobs, especially in the retail, manufacturing and quarrying sectors in 2016. Being a trading nation, Malaysia is highly susceptible to disruptions in the global economic chain, thus initiating the development of the EIS 2017 Bill to serve as a financial buffer against the ill effects of the economic downturn.

Compliance

The EIS Act went into effect on January 1, 2018, where all companies or enterprises with one or more employees are required to comply. Contributions were initiated since that date, while payouts for dismissed workers will begin in 2019. Furthermore, exemptions are only applicable to the self-employed, public servants, domestic helpers and foreign workers. All in all, the EIS serves as a safeguard measure, or employment insurance, to assist retrenched workers through funding from both employers and employees.

The meaning of Loss of Employment is stipulated under section 30 (1) & (2) of the Act. It also extends to dismissed staff having experienced sexual harassment or constructive dismissal at the workplace. This scheme is administered by the country’s Social Security Organisation (Sosco), to provide temporary financial assistance up to six months for each dismissed employee.

Contribution Rate

The EIS is based on a fixed rate basis. The contribution rate for this employment insurance consists of 0.2% from the employer and 0.2% of the employees’ monthly salary, totaling to 0.4% contribution. Moreover, it is subjected to a monthly contribution cap of RM59.30 for those with earnings RM4,000 and above.

Increased Productivity

The Insurance system consists of a list of activities that complement financial assistance, including  training programs, re-skilling, career counseling and job-seeking assistance. They effectively aid the Insured Persons (IP) to return to the workforce in the shortest possible time. Employees at an age range of 40-50 are most likely to benefit from this scheme. In addition, this employment insurance scheme also moderates losses from any business contraction, downsizing or bankruptcy.

Penalties

Altogether, failure to comply with EIS would result in a hefty fine not exceeding RM10,000 or an imprisonment for a term no more than two years, or both, upon conviction.

At Your Service

AYP Malaysia provides comprehensive HR and payroll services that ensure continuous compliance with the new EIS. Contact us for error-free payroll processing for monthly financial contributions!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *